Music Is My Love

Music Is My Love
from my ratemydrawings.com collection

Saturday, April 19, 2014

What I learned after watching Divergent

I just enjoy a very amazing movie! I have read the first of the series of Divergent but the movie reminded me why I feel in love with the books. The movie is based on a Distopia, a Utopia that is not what you expect.
In the movie there are factions you are born into. When you reach the age to leave home you are to choose your own faction. But the law is that you're to conform to that factions ways, else you become factionless. In the film the protagonist goes through her test and discovers she is a Divergent.
Divergents are those who think for themselves they are the people who do not conform to a thought or idea. They choose for themselves what is right and what is wrong, thus they become a threat because supposedly that was how the deadly war happened.
I thought about it for a long time after and realized how much I love diverse thinking. I realized that for me it was beautiful to walk out of the theater and see how we all had our own opinions and could choose what we wanted to do.
But sadly there is parts of this world where governments force or will even kill people who do not conform to their laws. I cry for those people because thinking differently is not a bad thing. It's never a bad thing to want to think and question everything!
Recently I questioned many things of my church and the leaders. Why? Because they are human and as humans we say what we want. I've learned that I have to teach myself to know if something said is true or not. But I like the fact that I'm not forced to conform to one belief I can think how ever I want to.
No matter what diverse thinking is beautiful, the atheist to the Christian. The pro-life to the pro-choice. The war fighter to the peace lover. It's beautiful and wonderful to have these different thoughts because when you listen to these ideas you then learn more on how you can be a better human being. How awesome is that?
I know this I loved the movie and I'm buying the books because I want that reminder every day and I want my kids to know that to. Growing up also where I did was great, my little hometown of Hawthorne, NV was HUGELY diverse. Never once was there no one who wasn't different from the one sitting next to them. Thus when a friend of mine came out on being gay we didn't judge or see him as being sinful. We saw everyone as humans.
I know we can all learn to listen to the different views and see the other stories before judging and that we can learn more. Open your mind and heart. Be Divergent.
KEEP BELIEVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment